HOMEMADE FISHCAKES WITH TARTARE SAUCE
Homemade fishcakes with tartare sauce – a family favourite! Traditional and very easy to prepare, these fish cakes are a great recipe to bring the family together. Fresh, comforting and simple – this recipe is a timeless classic.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Skill level: Easy Peasy
Recipe by: Ady Delaney
For the Tartare sauce
- 2 tbsp. of capers
- 2 tbsp. of gherkins
- 1 handful of fresh parsley
- 150ml of mayonnaise
- Lemon to taste
For the Fish cakes
- 500g of fresh cod
- 200ml of milk
- Handful of chopped parsley
- 300g of mashed potato
- 100g butter
- 125ml cream
- Salt and pepper
For the breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 200g panko breadcrumbs
- 200g flour
- Chop the capers and gherkins and mix together all the ingredients for tartare sauce, adding lemon to taste and set aside in the fridge.
- Place the cod and milk into a pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Leave to cool and drain off the milk.
- Make the mashed potato, add the butter and cream then set aside in the fridge.
- Combine the cod, chopped parsley, salt and pepper and mashed potato in a large bowl.
- Leave to chill in the fridge until the mixture has become firm enough to form fish cakes.
- Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs into bowls for coating the fish cakes.
- Shape the fishcakes by lightly pressing the mix between your hands. The fishcakes should fit comfortably in the palm of your hand.
- Lightly dust with flour, then dip in the egg and cover in the breadcrumbs.
- Lightly fry in a hot pan on a medium heat until golden, turning frequently.
In the mood to try a new fish for homemade fishcakes? Check out this tasty mackerel fish cake recipe.
Recipe courtesy Fish is the Dish