MACKEREL IN TOMATO SAUCE BHAJIS
Mackerel in tomato sauce bhajis. These fishy Bhajis are delicious and can be eaten right away or later if you have any left! Canned mackerel in curry sauce, along with the other flavours are actually really nice too.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 3 minutes
● 2 cans of mackerel in tomato sauce
● 1 red onion finely sliced
● Small handful of fresh chopped coriander
● 110g self-raising flour
● 1 tsp cumin seeds
● 1/2 tsp turmeric
● Vegetable Oil for deep frying – amount varies depending on your pan/fryer
● Sardines / Pilchards
1. Preheat your fryer oil or if you don’t have a fryer you can use a deep-sided pan and fill it up to a third. The oil has to be piping hot for Bhajis to be at their best. Chefs tell us 180 degrees.
2. Place the red onion, coriander, turmeric, flour, cumin seeds and mackerel in tomato sauce in a large bowl and mix everything together.
3. This mixture will make 16 Bhajis. We recommend you half the mixture in the bowl by placing a spoon down the mixture and then half again so you have four quarters this will help you get the Bhajis the right size.
4. Run your hands in water under the tap so they are wet and this means you can now take each quarter of the mixture and roll it into four balls.
5. Using a fish slice or slatted spoon gently lower the balls into the hot oil and leave for 2-3 mins before lifting them carefully out onto kitchen paper to remove the excess oil. We recommend you test one bhajis first for the oil.
The Bhajis are delicious and can be eaten right away or later if you have any left! Canned mackerel in curry sauce, along with the other flavours are actually really nice too.
Recipe courtesy Fish is the Dish, Seafish