AUSTRAL FISHERIES TO REDUCE PLASTIC USAGE
A statement from the company said:
“We strive to conduct our business in an environmentally sustainable, socially responsible and ethical manner. We strongly believe that the health of our oceans and waterways is essential not only in preserving the vast diversity of marine life, but also in supporting our lives. Our aim is to bring sustainable seafood to today’s plate and also enable future generations to enjoy the same environmentally sustainable, ethically produced, high quality seafood without further harm to our planet’s marine ecosystem.
“We intend to significantly reduce the plastics we use at Austral, and find alternatives to re-cycle, re-use, replace, or destroy plastics in a way that limits the negative impact they would otherwise have on the oceans.
“In July 2021, we made a commitment to reduce our usage of single use plastics across our packaging range by 30% by 2025, while also working with other sectors of our industry to reduce plastic usage in other parts of the business.”
Austral’s strong focus on sustainability extends to the following plastic reduction strategies:
- Australian Packaging Covenant Organisation (APCO) membership
- continuing to work proactively as a Global Ghost Gear Initiative member
- re-purposing end-of-life plastics from our operations
- implementing a Preferred Supplier Programme based on APCO membership
- eliminating unnecessary plastic usage
- substituting eco-friendly materials for plastics, and
- regular beach clean-ups.
Photo credit: Austral Fisheries