CRAB AND GINGER CAKES WITH SOY DIPPING SAUCE
Crab and ginger cakes with soy dipping sauce. Looking for the perfect starter? Look no further than these crowd-impressing crab and ginger cakes with soy dipping sauce.
Skill Level: Medium
Recipe by: Seafish
Prep time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- For the crab cakes:
- 2 x 170g cans tinned crabmeat, drained
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 550g potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 25g fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 stick lemon grass, minced
- 50g fresh coriander, chopped, plus extra to garnish
- Zest 1 lime, plus wedges to serve
- Sea salt
- 3-4 tbsp. plain flour
- For the soy dipping sauce:
- 50ml reduced-salt soy sauce
- 25ml wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp. pickled ginger, finely chopped
- Heat a wide non-stick frying pan with 1 tbsp. of the oil, add the potato and fry until it starts to colour and soften. Remove from the heat and add the rest of the ingredients, except for the flour for the crab cakes. Mix well then use a potato masher to crush the mix slightly, leaving some texture. Season with salt.
- Shape the crab cake mixture into 10cm round cakes or your desired size. Coat each one in the flour, tapping gently to remove any excess.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan and add the crab cakes. Cook for 7–8 minutes on each side until golden. If your crab cakes are bigger, they may need longer to cook, smaller they may need less time.
- While the crab cakes are cooking, make the dipping sauce. Combine all the ingredients and mix together using a whisk. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serve the crab cakes with the dipping sauce, and lime wedges, garnish with a sprig of coriander.
Nutritional information per servings
- Calories 278kcal
- Fat 7.4g
- Saturates 0.7g
- Carbs 39.1g
- Sugars 5.2g
- Fibre 4g
- Protein 15.8g
- Salt 2.4g
Recipe courtesy Love Seafood