MOWI STRENGTHENS ITS FLEET
Mowi strengthens its fleet with a new feed barge for Maclean’s Nose. A brand new SeaMate concrete feed barge has been delivered to Mowi’s seawater site at Maclean’s Nose by the Ardnamurchan Peninsula
The 400-tonne vessel has been built in Inverness by long-standing supplier Gael Force.
The SeaMate is a significant investment to Maclean’s Nose. The barge features the very latest technology and innovation, increasing not only the efficiency of Mowi’s operation but also the comfort onboard for the team. The SeaMate incorporates a six-line SeaFeed feeding system which can distribute 400 tonnes of feed.
Rosie Curtis, manager at Maclean’s Nose, explained the difference the new feed barge will make to the farm: “This new barge will make a real difference to our efficiency at Maclean’s Nose as it will be able to feed more than one pen at a time. It will also provide a much better and more comfortable working environment for the team.”
Staff onboard will benefit from underfloor heating, showers and a fitted galley kitchen. Ten staff will work onboard in a two weeks on two weeks off shift pattern.
Stephen Offord, production director at Gael Force, said: “We are delighted to see our latest SeaMate Feed Barge make its way to Maclean’s Nose. Mowi has received an advanced feed barge along with the highly innovative SeaFeed feeding system installed on board. Our skilled team has worked collaboratively with Mowi to ensure we addressed all their needs for the site and as a result I am very confident this kit will support them in safely and sustainably growing their salmon to a superior standard.
“We are prouder than ever of the strong customer-supplier relationship we have built with Mowi over the years and our very best wishes go to Rosie and the team at Maclean’s Nose.”
- Mowi is the largest salmon farming company in Scotland, employing over 1,500 people.
- Mowi was the first company in Scotland to farm Atlantic salmon and celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2015.
- The company has three hatcheries, five freshwater loch sites and 49 sea farms, situated in the Western Isles, Skye, Argyll, Wester Ross and Lochaber.
- In 2014, a new Mowi salmon processing plant at Rosyth opened, producing a range of value added salmon products for the consumer market.
- Mowi holds the Royal Warrant for the supply of fresh farmed salmon to Her Majesty the Queen.