SCOUT LAUNCHES CRAFT CANNED SEAFOOD LINE
Scout launches craft canned seafood line. Canadian seafood brand Scout has launched the first craft canned seafood line to source 100% of species off the shores of Canada and the U.S.; creating a local and sustainable business model.
Scout established a network of small-scale and sustainable fisheries, local to Canada and the U.S., to introduce a transparent supply chain rooted in protecting ocean health. The commitment to ocean health extends beyond the model to include a donation of profits to non-profit partners that work to protect the oceans and local waterways via 1% for the Planet, an organisation whose members contribute a portion of their annual sales to environmental causes.
Scout’s launch collection includes Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) Certified Albacore Tuna from the Pacific Northwest, Prince Edward Island mussels, MSC Certified Atlantic lobster and Ontario trout. Eager to shift consumer mindset to adopt the European conservas culture, recipes for the product line were Chef-created for easy at-home meal preparation.
“There’s a growing appreciation for conservas across North America. Once Tapas and wine bars started introducing tinned seafood, there seemed to be a groundswell of people integrating canned seafood into meals at home,” said Co-Founder of Scout and MSC Ambassador Chef Charlotte Langley.
“The current climate has definitely highlighted canned fish as a necessity – it’s the right time to introduce an elevated offering into this category.”
Hand-cut and hand-packed, Scout is well-poised to compete with mass seafood brands by bringing a local offering to market. The craft seafood line up includes:
- Atlantic Canadian Lobster: MSC Certified lobster claw, tail and leg meat, cold-pressed sunflower oil, butter, salt.
- PEI Mussels in a Smoked Paprika & Fennel Tomato Sauce: 100% rope grown mussels, tomato passata, roasted red pepper, garlic, fennel seeds, chilli flakes, salt.
- Ontario Trout with Dill: Trout from all-natural underwater streams, cold pressed sunflower oil, dill, salt.
- Albacore Tuna with Organic EVOO: MSC Certified albacore tuna, organic olive oil, and salt.
- Albacore Tuna with Garden Pesto: MSC Certified albacore tuna, organic olive oil, basil, sea salt, garlic. lemon juice, and parsley.
“Consumers’ palettes are changing, which presents an opening in the market for healthier options. With incredible products and a transparent business model, Scout is well-positioned for success and deciding to invest wasn’t a difficult one,” said Co-Founder of Almanac Investments, a fund that invests in responsible CPG companies, David Barber.