BAKED HERRING WITH LEMON AND TOMATOES
Baked herring with lemon and tomatoes. Delicious, simple and healthy, can be cooked in the oven or ideal for the barbecue. An easy recipe, perfect for a light lunch and if you add sweet potato wedges or rice and some homemade tzatziki, it makes a great dinner too. Herrings are great for your heart and packed full of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- 4 whole new season herrings, (gutted and cleaned)
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- 4 large tomatoes (halved)
- 2 tsps butter
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 4 cocktail sticks
- Preheat the oven to 180C – Gas Mark 4
- Take the herrings and if necessary, clean further by washing in cold water and removing any remaining scales with a scaler or the back of a kitchen knife.
- Score the flanks of the herring each side and spread a little butter in the body cavities.
- Squeeze a little lemon over the fish and season well with salt and pepper.
- Skewer the heads and tails of the herring together using the cocktail sticks and place in a foil lined baking dish with enough foil to create a parcel.
- Season the tomatoes and place around the herring with the remainder of the lemon wedges. Cover with the sides of the foil to create the parcel and bake under a moderate heat – 180C Gas 4 for 15 mins.
- Take out the herrings and open up the parcel and bake for another five minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with the tomatoes, lemons and some wholemeal or granary bread.
Add some dried mint and finely diced cucumber to some Greek yoghurt.