FISH CURRY WITH CHANA DAL
Fish curry with chana dal. Inspired by the flavours of Southern Indian cooking, this freshly spiced white fish curry is simple to prepare and packed full of flavour.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Skill level: Competent Cook
Recipe by: Ady Delaney
- 4 x 150g cod chunks- skin on
- 3 tins of chick peas
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. water
- Coriander – 2 handfuls chopped
- 100ml natural yoghurt
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 3 tbsp. chat masala spice
Alternative fish: haddock or hake FISH CURRY WITH CHANA DAL
- On a medium heat, fry off onion, garlic, and coriander stalks in vegetable oil until the onions are soft but not browned.
- Add the garam masala, ground coriander and chat masala spices and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add two tins of chickpeas and water to the pan.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes adding water if it starts to dry out.
- Using the back of a wooden spoon, drain and crush the remaining chickpeas. These will be used to thicken the sauce.
- When the chickpeas are soft, add the cod, skin side up.
- Cook for a further 12-20 minutes.
- Lift the cod out so that it does not overcook and sprinkle the remaining chopped coriander.
- Serve the sauce into a bowl and place the cod on top. Serve with a spoonful of natural yoghurt and chopped coriander leaves.
Recipe courtesy Fish is the Dish