HOMEMADE FISHCAKES WITH TARTARE SAUCE
Homemade fishcakes with tartare sauce. Traditional and very easy to prepare, these fish cakes are fresh, comforting and simple.
Prep time; 20 mins
Cooking time: 25 – 30 mins
Skill level; Easy
For the fishcakes
- 4x 140g fresh cod fillets
- 200ml milk
- 500g potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 10g butter
- 125ml single cream
- Handful parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 200g plain flour
- 200g panko style breadcrumbs
For the tartare sauce
- 2 tbsp. capers, chopped
- 2 tbsp. gherkins, chopped
- 1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 150ml mayonnaise
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Mix together all the ingredients for the tartare sauce, adding lemon juice to taste, and set aside in the fridge.
- Place the cod and milk into a medium sized pan and simmer on a medium heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Leave the cod to cool and drain off the milk. Flake the fish, removing any bones.
- Boil the potatoes until soft. Drain, and then mash with the butter and cream. Set aside in the fridge.
- Combine the flaked cod, chopped parsley and mashed potato in a large bowl, and season with salt and pepper.
- Leave to chill in the fridge until the mixture has become firm enough to form fish cakes.
- Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs into three separate bowls for coating the fish cakes.
- Divide the fish cake mixture into four or eight equal sized pieces, depending on the size you want. Shape the fish cakes by lightly pressing the mix between your hands. The fishcakes should fit comfortably in the palm of your hand.
- Lightly dust each fish cake in the flour, then dip in the egg and cover in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Lightly fry the fish cakes until golden, turning frequently.
- Serve with half the tartare sauce, lemon wedges and mixed leaves.
If you prefer, instead of using cream to make the mashed potato, use 125ml of the milk used to poach the fish.
Nutritional information per servings
- Calories 753kcal
- Fat 31.6g
- Saturates 7.7g
- Carbs 83g
- Sugars 4.5g
- Fibre 6.1g
- Protein 37.2g
- Salt 1.5g