THE COD’S SCALLOPS CROWNED UK’S BEST FISH & CHIP SHOP
The Cod’s Scallops crowned UK’s best fish & chip shop. Nottingham-based business wins flagship title at The National Fish & Chip Awards 2020.
The Cod’s Scallops in Wollaton, Nottingham, has netted the highly-coveted title of Fish and Chip Shop of the Year at the National Fish & Chip Awards 2020. Owned by John Molnar and wife Helen, The Cod’s Scallops beat off competition from nine other shortlisted finalists to be crowned the UK’s best fish and chip shop, an accolade which has led to previous champions doubling their turnover in the twelve months following the announcement.
Full list of winners are as follows:
- Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award: The Cod’s Scallops, Wollaton, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
- Best Fish and Chip Restaurant Award: Trenchers Restaurant, Spanish City, Whitley Bay
- Best Newcomer Award: Lewis’s Fish & Grill, Maidstone, Kent
- NFFF Quality Award Champion: The Real Food Café, Tyndrum, Stirlingshire
- Best Seafood Week Campaign Award: Penaluna’s Famous Fish & Chips, Hirwaun, Aberdare
- Best Foodservice Operator Award: Mary Lambert Artisan Bakery, Hartlepool, County Durham
- Menu Development and Innovation Award: Fish City Belfast, Belfast
- Marketing Innovation Award: Shap Chippy, Shap, Penrith
- From Field to Frier Award: Fish & Chips @ Weston Grove, Upton, Chester
- Good Catch Award: Fish & Chips @ Weston Grove, Upton, Chester
- Staff Training and Development Award: The Wetherby Whaler, Yorkshire
- Drywite Young Fish Frier of the Year: Charlie Collins, Frydales, Leicester, Leicestershire
- Best Mobile Operator Award: The English Indian, Lichfield, Staffordshire
- Best Multiple Operator Award: Sutton & Sons, London
- Seasonal UK Seafood Award: Something Else Fishy, Milborne Port, Sherborne
- Outstanding Achievement Award: Richard Ord, Colmans of South Shields, Tyne and Wear
The National Fish & Chip Awards is a UK-wide competition celebrating true excellence in the fish and chip industry organised by Seafish, the public body that supports the £10bn UK seafood industry. Hailing from across the country, entrants are judged on far more than just the fish and chips they cook and serve. Sustainability, menu innovation, catering for special dietary requirements, customer service and marketing activity are all part of the package of what makes an award-winning fish and chip shop.
The Cod’s Scallops consistently excelled in all of these areas throughout an intensive eight month judging period, which included multiple mystery shop visits and a final presentation to a panel of industry experts.
John Molnar, said: “We’re absolutely thrilled to be crowned the UK’s best fish and chip shop! It’s an honour to take home such a prestigious title, especially being up against the country’s top establishments. Our experience in The National Fish & Chip Awards has been an incredible journey and we’ve loved every minute of it. It’s a brilliant achievement for the team at The Cod’s Scallops and we are so proud of everyone for their efforts.
“Entering the awards has taught us so much about our business as well as the fish and chip industry and we would encourage other operators to get involved. We want to thank everyone who has supported us along the way as well as our customers who we value beyond measure. Without them buying fish and chips every week, we wouldn’t be here. What a way to start 2020 and we can’t wait to see what the future brings.”
Marcus Coleman, Chief Executive at Seafish, said: “We’d like to offer huge congratulations to The Cod’s Scallops for taking home the crown of Fish and Chip Shop of the Year at the National Fish & Chip Awards 2020. As well as serving up outstanding fish and chips, they demonstrated real passion and enthusiasm for the industry every step of the way. Their final presentation was incredible and they are truly deserving winners.
“The National Fish & Chip Awards have been raising the bar in the industry for 32 years and we know how much it means to operators to win this notoriously tough competition. Securing the title of Fish and Chip Shop of the Year is a real achievement for The Cod’s Scallops and we wish them every success for what will surely be a very exciting year ahead as reigning champions.”
A portion of fish and chips can also contribute towards one of the recommended five a day portions of fruit and vegetables if mushy peas are included. It can also be one of the recommended two portions of fish a week that we should all be eating as part of a balanced diet. Fish and chip shops and restaurants cater to a diverse range of lifestyle and health choices by providing small portion size choices, gluten free options and various types of fish species. Innovation is key for many businesses, with fish and chip shops constantly evolving and adding varied and interesting options to their menus.
To view the full list of winners visit
Or follow @fishisthedish #FishnChipAwards